Pen and paper is a great way to communicate, but it hasn't really changed in thousands of years. As tech has taken over, the ways in which we can communicate has become more diverse, with platforms such as Google, YouTube, Shopify and TikTok making the online world more accessible than ever before. Video content is now an essential component of online communication.
In the world of ecommerce, staying ahead of the competition is an ongoing challenge. With millions of online stores vying for consumers' attention, finding innovative ways to engage with and persuade potential customers to shop with you is paramount. One such innovation that has rapidly gained traction is video marketing. As a Shopify merchant, harnessing the power of video can significantly boost your brand's visibility, customer engagement, and ultimately, your sales.
The internet has a global reach: that's billions of conversations with billions of people who can be reached and engaged with - or simply put, billions of potential customers. However, with this opportunity comes competition. Being able to communicate your story effectively is therefore key in guiding consumers on their purchase journey before, during, and after their time on your Shopify store.
The Rise of Video Marketing
Video marketing has become an essential tool in the digital marketer's arsenal, and for good reason. It's a highly effective way to convey your brand's message, showcase products, and connect with your target audience.
Why Is Video Marketing So Effective?
- YouTube boasts an extensive user base of over 2.527 billion individuals worldwide as of April 2023
- 91% of respondents want to encounter more online videos created by brands in 2023
- YouTube is the dominant video marketing platform, with 90% of video marketers trusting it
- Mobile devices contribute to 88.9% of the total visitor base
- According to the Global Digital Report from Kepios, online brands have the potential to reach over a billion users with video ads on TikTok. This is a 12.6% year-over-year increase in ad reach for the platform. (The figure is based on users over the age of 18 who can be targeted with advertising on the app.)
Video is a fantastic storytelling device. We use stories to entertain and to inform. People have used stories for thousands of years to pass on information: from identifying dangerous animals in our early ancestors’ cave paintings, to hieroglyphics in Egyptian murals, to modern language. We’ve evolved to use stories as an effective way of communication. It just so happens that video is an excellent multisensory platform for communicating stories.
Here are a few key reasons why video marketing is a game-changer for Shopify merchants:
Videos capture attention more effectively than static images or text. They allow you to tell a story, demonstrate product features, and create emotional connections with your audience. It’s also easier for people to consume on phones through YouTube, Instagram and TikTok.
Search engines like Google favour video content. By optimising your video descriptions and metadata, you can boost your website's search engine ranking, driving organic traffic to your Shopify store.
Higher Conversion Rates
Studies consistently show that including videos on product pages can lead to higher conversion rates. Customers are more likely to make a purchase when they can see a product in action and get a sense of it in context.
Social Media Dominance
Social media platforms prioritise video content, making it easier for your videos to reach a broader audience. Platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok are ideal for sharing product videos and promotional content.
Video Marketing Benefits
Brands and marketers have used video to influence our behaviour with effective results. They have used imagery that we can all relate to, that often strikes a chord with our memories and emotions. Brands use this to influence us, whether it be through product placement, adverts or thought influencers.
The best adverts are ones that use association of memories, emotions and ideology, in order to build an emotional response to a brand or campaign. Think of the John Lewis Christmas ads for example.
Talking of Christmas, the image of Santa Claus that we all know and love was actually created by Coca Cola, who first depicted him as the friendly and plump character with a white beard (and although they don’t claim responsibility for the red outfit, it’s worked out well for them from a brand colour perspective!).
When it comes to video there are many choices. Often people are put off by not knowing where to start from a technical perspective, or because of the perceived cost involved. However we are often working within campaigns that rely on content. By cross-pollinating this content on different platforms (such as television, YouTube, social media platforms or on the brand’s website) we are able to maximise the value of the video content by amplifying it through different channels and bolstering the campaign by putting it in front of audiences in different spaces.
Commercials can be rerun for specific events that marketers know are key dates in their diaries such as Christmas and Easter. This is really helpful for marketers, as it allows them to plan their content strategy around these key dates well in advance.
Video Marketing Statistics
If you’re not yet convinced by the potential value of incorporating video into your marketing and content strategy, here are a few headline stats:
- 81% of businesses use video as a marketing tool - an increase from 63% last year.
- 78% of people watch online videos every week, with 55% viewing online videos every day.
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to just 10% when reading it in text.
- 72% of customers would prefer to learn about a product or service via video.
Now that you understand the importance of video marketing, let's explore how you can unlock its potential for your Shopify store.
1. Start with High-Quality Content
The foundation of successful video marketing is high-quality content. Invest in good equipment, plan your shots, and ensure your videos are well-lit and sound professional. Poor-quality videos can have the opposite effect, driving potential customers away.
To create high-quality videos for your Shopify store, consider the following tips:
Invest in Good Equipment
While you don't need top-of-the-line gear, investing in decent cameras, microphones, and lighting equipment can significantly improve the quality of your videos.
Plan Your Shot
Before hitting the record button, plan your shots carefully. Create a storyboard or script, outlining what you want to convey in the video. This will help you stay on track and ensure your content is clear and concise.
Focus on Lighting
Proper lighting is crucial for video quality. Natural light is often best, but if that's not possible, invest in softbox lights or LED panels to ensure your subject is well-lit and free from harsh shadows.
Pay Attention to Audio
Good audio quality is just as important as video quality. Source professional audio editors for studio-quality recordings and invest in a quality microphone to capture clear, crisp sound. Minimise background noise as much as possible. Furthermore, to enhance accessibility and SEO, consider using ‘audio to text’ for automatic audio transcription. These tools can quickly convert spoken words into text, making your video content searchable, more inclusive, and easier for viewers to follow along, whether they're watching with the sound on or off.
The editing process is where you can polish your video further. Use video editing software to remove any mistakes - using a video editor means you can easily add captions or graphics, ensuring a smooth, professional flow.
Test and Iterate
Don't be afraid to test different techniques and styles to find what resonates best with your audience. Continuously gather feedback and make improvements to your video content based on viewer responses and analytics.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the advice above - it’s not all about perfectly lit product shots and expensive equipment. There is a space for more rough and ready, off the cuff content. Of course this depends on your brand and how you want to communicate to your audience, but filming on a mobile phone is possible - if your message and content resonates with the target audience, this is much more important than the skill behind the edit.
2. Choose the Right Video Types
Choosing the right types of videos for your Shopify store is crucial for engaging your audience and achieving your marketing goals. Here are some popular video types and how to tailor them to your target audience and objectives:
- Audience: Ideal for potential customers who want to see your product in action before making a purchase decision.
- Content: Provide detailed demonstrations of your products, showcasing their features, benefits, and how they solve specific problems.
- Goal: Increase product understanding, build trust, and boost conversion rates.
Tutorials and How-To Guides:
- Audience: Helpful for customers who want to learn how to use your products or get the most out of them.
- Content: Create step-by-step tutorials that guide viewers through specific tasks or processes related to your products.
- Goal: Position your brand as an expert, provide value to your customers, and encourage repeat purchases.
Customer Testimonials and Reviews:
- Audience: Valuable for potential customers looking for social proof and reviews of your products.
- Content: Share real customer experiences and feedback through video testimonials and reviews.
- Goal: Build trust, credibility, and encourage potential customers to make a purchase.
- Audience: Appeals to customers interested in the story behind your brand and products.
- Content: Showcase the inner workings of your business, from product development and manufacturing to day-to-day operations.
- Goal: Humanise your brand, create a personal connection with your audience, and strengthen brand loyalty.
- Audience: Targets customers looking for industry-related knowledge and information.
- Content: Create informative videos that educate viewers on topics related to your products or industry.
- Goal: Establish your brand as an authority in your niche, attract a broader audience, and nurture leads.
- Audience: Designed for potential customers who need incentives to make a purchase.
- Content: Highlight special offers, discounts, or limited-time promotions in a visually appealing and compelling way.
- Goal: Drive immediate sales, create a sense of urgency, and encourage action.
Storytelling and Brand Identity:
- Audience: Targets both existing customers and those interested in your brand's story and values.
- Content: Share your brand's journey, mission, and values through compelling storytelling.
- Goal: Create a strong emotional connection with your audience, foster brand loyalty, and differentiate your brand from competitors.
3. Optimise for Mobile
Many consumers browse and shop on mobile devices, so ensure your videos are mobile-friendly if they’re going to appear on your Shopify store. Use a responsive Shopify theme and test your videos on different devices to guarantee they look and function well on smartphones and tablets.
4. Leverage Social Media Platforms
Make sure you share your videos on social media platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and YouTube. These platforms offer excellent opportunities for engagement and sharing, helping you reach a wider audience.
5. Incorporate Video into Email Marketing
Video can significantly enhance your email marketing campaigns. Use video thumbnails in your emails to encourage click-throughs, and consider embedding videos within your email content.
6. Measure and Analyse Results
Use Shopify's built-in analytics tools and platforms like Google Analytics to track the performance of your video content. Monitor metrics such as views, engagement, and conversion rates to refine your video marketing strategy continually.
7. Stay Consistent
Consistency is key to building brand recognition and trust. Develop a content calendar for your video marketing efforts and stick to a regular posting schedule.
In conclusion, video marketing is a powerful tool that Shopify merchants can use to stand out in a crowded online marketplace and differentiate their brand from the competition. By creating high-quality, engaging videos and strategically sharing them on various platforms, you can boost your brand's visibility, engage your audience, and ultimately drive more sales. So, start unlocking the power of video marketing for your Shopify store today, and watch your business thrive in the digital age.
If you’d like to explore how we can help grow your brand with ecommerce services across web design, development, apps and marketing, get in touch with our team today.